Comments Off on Theande: Legion Boss
I’m revisiting my original Boss Fight writeup for Legion!
“Theande was a commander in the Alliance and rose to prominence in the Draenor comapaign, but announced her intent to retire after the victory at Hellfire Citadel. The Alliance promised to honor her request – but when the Legion invaded and Varian died, Theande was called to battle once again. This was too much, and although she pretended to agree, she rebelled as soon as she was able and cleansed Netherlight Temple of any who refused to join her.”
Theande stands by the altar at the rear of Netherlight Temple, guarded by a magical barrier; she won’t drop the barrier until the three other bosses of Netherlight (the paladin Rolastra, the rogue Tiryns, and the death knight Ixtamna) are defeated.
Theande cannot be engaged by proximity, only by attacking. When she is engaged, she erects a magical barrier around her platform; any players outside the barrier cannot engage the boss but will not be damaged by her attacks or eligible for loot. The barrier drops when Theande is defeated.
- Smite: Theande strikes her target with Holy magic, dealing moderate damage. This is her default attack. 1-second cast, cannot be interrupted.
- Penance: Theande casts three quick bolts of Holy magic over 2 seconds at her target, dealing moderate damage with each bolt. She will cast this no more often than once every ten seconds. 2-second channel, can be interrupted.
- Schism: Theande periodically places a magic debuff on all members of the raid that increases damage taken by 20%. The debuff lasts for 15 seconds and can be dispelled. 1.5-second cast, can be interrupted.
- Punish the Weak: Theande occasionally calls down holy fire from the sky, creating pools of holy flame on the ground. When the initial cast ends, this deals significant damage to anyone standing in one of the pools, and moderate damage every second thereafter to anyone standing in the pools for the next ten seconds. This attack is telegraphed as she is casting. 1-second cast, can be interrupted.
- Power Word: Shield: The first time Theande drops past 80%, 60%, 40%, and 20% of her maximum health, Theande surrounds herself with a magic barrier that absorbs 5% of her maximum health in damage. This barrier does not have a timer but can be dispelled. Spells she casts while the barrier is up cannot be interrupted. Instant cast.
- Atonement: Any time Theande gains Power Word: Shield, she also gains Atonement, which heals her for 10% of the damage she deals. If Power Word: Shield is dispelled or the shield absorbs its maximum amount of damage, Atonement also falls off.
- Mindbender: At 60% and 30% health, Theande summons Mindbenders. These each have 20% of her total health and a separate threat table; they use purely physical attacks, and will despawn after 120 seconds. If a Mindbender is destroyed, Theande’s damage increases by 20% for ten seconds. Theande summons 2 Mindbenders at 60% health (one each at the west and east sides of her platform) and four Mindbenders at 30% health (one at each cardinal direction). Instant cast.
- Halo: Occasionally, Theande will release a ring of holy magic that expands across her platform. This damages all players for a moderate amount and heals Theande’s mindbenders, if any are alive, for 10% of their total health. Instant cast.
- Desperate Prayer: If Theande is kept in combat for 10 minutes, she casts Desperate Prayer. This restores 25% of her total health and gives her her Holy Prayer buff. Instant cast, cannot be prevented or interrupted.
- Holy Prayer: This buff cannot be dispelled. Each stack increases Theande’s damage and spell haste by 1%; after she casts Desperate Prayer, she gains one stack per second until either she or the raid is dead.
The altar in front of Theande can be destroyed; doing so will immediately engage Theande and give her 25 stacks of her Holy Prayer buff. If Theande is engaged directly without fully destroying the altar, it will immediately become untargetable and Hard Mode will be unavailable.
- Punish Me: Survive for a total of 120 full seconds in a pool of holy fire. Can be completed across multiple attempts; awards the title “the Masochist”.
- Don’t Punish Me!: Interrupt Theande’s Punish the Weak ability six times in a single attempt. Awarded to the entire raid when this is accomplished.
- Friends Are Not Enough: Defeat Theande while at least one Mindbender is still active.
- Rest for the Weary: Defeat Theande after destroying her altar.
- Tattered Flag: A cloak, in pink, purple, and white.
- Broken Halo: Cloth headpiece. The graphic is a crystal “halo” hovering above the player’s head, shattered into several pieces.
- Veilhammer: 1h mace. A warhammer in green and red, wrapped in thorns in the color of Winter Veil lights. Glows in dark environments.
- Blackened Benediction: Staff weapon. The graphic is the classic Benediction, but charred and swallowed in shadowflame.
- Netherlight Vestments: Cloth chestpiece. A robe decorated in the colors of the Netherlight Temple.
- Aggro: “Why do you force me to fight?”
- Hard Mode Aggro: “No! You fools! What have you done?”
- Schism: “Feel your soul depart from your body!”
- Power Word: Shield: “You won’t defeat me that easily.”
- Punish the Weak: “I have no patience for the undisciplined.”
- Mindbender: “The Nether does have its uses.”
- Penance: “The Light will show you no mercy, [name].”
- Halo: “Get away from me!”
- 10% Health: “This can’t be how it ends!”
- Desperate Prayer: “The Light will not let me fall!”
- Player death: “Your faith is weak.”
- Death: “Finally… finally, I can rest.”
Theande has captured the souls of anyone killed in Netherlight Temple in her altar. When she’s defeated, Alonsus Faol and Calia Menethil run in and join the victorious players, and both begin to resurrect everyone whose soul was held in the altar – including Theande and any players who died in combat. (If the altar was destroyed, they will have additional dialogue about how difficult it is.) The bosses (Theande, Rolastra, Tiryns, and Ixtamna) are the last to be resurrected, and return to life in shackles; Alonsus will tell the players that there is much work to do to return these maddened warriors to the Light, and lead them out of the Temple while Celia begins to restore order.